The primary purpose of Faithful and Welcoming Churches (FWC) is to promote Christ-centered unity, which we understand to be the founding vision of the United Church of Christ. In that spirit, we encourage churches, pastors, and laity who consider themselves ECOT (evangelical, conservative, orthodox, or traditional) to remain in active covenant in the United Church of Christ.
Our core value is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior and Lord. Following the Preamble to the UCC Constitution, we look “to the Word of God in the Scriptures” and to “the presence and power of the Holy Spirit” while claiming as our own “the faith of the historic Church expressed in the ancient creeds and reclaimed in the basic insights of the Protestant Reformers.”
We seek to encourage and connect with UCC people who….
- Remain in the UCC to be transformed and to become conduits of God’s transforming love
- Prioritize proclamation of Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection
- Embrace historic orthodoxy and value Reformation theology
- Believe that the primary way God is still speaking is through Scripture
- Want to give voice to ECOTs in the UCC
- Seek to renew the church through prayer and Bible study
- Differ with some UCC resolutions and policies
- Embrace traditions important to them in a changing world
- Use more traditional language or forms in worship, music, and prayer
- Advocate for an historic understanding of sexuality and marriage
- Desire open and respectful dialogue on these issues